Cat Health Issues
Simple things to keep in mind so that your kitten or cat is safe, healthy and happy:
- In multiple cat households, up to 58% of cats are stressed and aggressive because they don't have their own litter trays, beds or food bowls.
- Don't let your cat wander - 49% of cats are allowed to roam free when outdoors, risking shortened lifespans due to being hit by cars, injured in fights and contracting diseases such as feline AIDS.
- Obesity - up to 40% of cats are overweight. Obesity can cause major health problems such as diabetes, and can reduce quality of life and shorten lifespan. Make sure you use good quality cat food and are feeding your cat the correct amount.
- Inability to express natural behaviours - 50% of cats don't have access to a scratching post, and 11% don't have access to toys or other objects to manipulate.
- Lack of preventative vet care - 29% of cats are not vaccinated against common diseases, 13% aren't treated for fleas and 16% aren't wormed.
- Lack of identification - 10% of owners have been unable to find their lost cats.
If your cat is unwell and you're concerned seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.